Rossschweif, Tugh, Tug---in English

Hier geht es um Sprangtechnik!

Moderator: Moderatoren

Rossschweif, Tugh, Tug---in English

Beitragvon Amaris » 13.10.2006, 20:09

Hello,

I'm trying to reproduce the technique used to create the sleeve on this Tugh.

http://www.tuerkenbeute.de/sam/sam_hoh/
I believe this is a modern "woodcut" artistic example.

http://www.tuerkenbeute.de/sam/sam_hoh/D30_de.php
But, this is what I'm aiming for,...

My question,

How the was the sleeve on the Tugh created?

I don't think this is Sprang, but I didn't know where to post this question.

It has been suggested that the sleeve was created through braiding. However, I have yet to see any examples of braiding that actually has patterns. I see braiding using single and multiple colors, but no incorporation of diamond, etc patterns.

Another suggestion has also been suggested, the use of a loom.
You weave the pattern "sideways", tube your material, then slide it onto the pole.

I have seen the use of a loom in turkey more often than the use of braiding.

In the image of this Rossschweif,...you can Zoom,..check out the Red Line just under the bottom tuff of horse hair,...the Red Line in not continuous.
Is this a seam?

Perhaps with your experience, you can get me aimed in the right direction.

I really desire to recreate this Tugh/Rossschweif. The Rossschweif was a pole standard used by the Ottoman Armies to mark encampments, or used as a rally point in combat. The Rossschweif itself begins with a turned wood four foot long section that is mounted upon a pole of varing height. I have been told that the sleeve on the Rossschweif is also made from horsehair.

I would appreciated any suggestions.

Thank you for your time,

Ruth Cantu
San Antonio, Texas

RCANTU006@satx.rr.com
Daughteroftyr@yahoo.com
Amaris
Magd / Knecht
Magd / Knecht

Beitragvon nontox » 14.10.2006, 09:06

I am pretty sure this is what is called "Fancywork" - a special kind of knotting done by sailors and most probably others too.
I've got a book :lesen: with this title and it is full of patterns like these - just not as beautiful. The method in this case should be a special kind of "Rippenkatning" (p.96, Picture 174A). I am not perfectly sure yet, but you should be able to find out.

Bild

The red line is not continuous because the work is done in turns around the "stick". One single string is running round and round and a plethora of colored strings make the pattern by being wrapped around the one "runner". It isn't that difficult - really.

The book (in German) is written by Kaj Lund. You can get it at amazon.de from the private sellers there.
I could't find any sellers in US.

This is how it looks like - a bit oldfashioned but quite unique in its content... *g*

Joschi
Bild
Das Klatschen der einen Hand ...
nontox
Dame / Ritter
Dame / Ritter

Zurück zu Sprang